Hello from new member - Sylva Riot

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
cosmicicecreamman
Name: Stephen

Hello from new member - Sylva Riot

Postby cosmicicecreamman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:10 am

Hello all,

I've just been signed up to the forum and wanted to say hello.

I recently purchased a Sylva Riot after years of pouring my heart over one. I've already got a 'to do' list which is growing exponentially and a bank balance which is reducing at the same rate!!!!!

Are there many Riot owners on here?

Steve

deecee
Name: David Cockburn

Re: Hello from new member - Sylva Riot

Postby deecee » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi Steve

Welcome to the Forum. I have a J15 with a Duratec, which although not a Riot is very similar under the skin. Which engine do you have?

David
Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

cosmicicecreamman

Postby cosmicicecreamman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:41 pm

I have a Riot with a 1800 Zetec which I bought built. I was wanting to build one but we had a baby daughter a month ago so my time is taken up by her.

Hoping to get it through the SVA over the winter but realise I have my work cut out!!!

If you dont mind me asking, what spring rates are you using on your J15? I had my Riot to knockhill, which is a very bumpy circuit, and found it to be too hard for the bumpy surface. Currently running: Front - 300lb/in, Rear - 450lb/in

Many thanks

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:44 pm

I would think that is way too high. My Phoenix is 225 front and 200 rear so I would expect your Riot to be something like 200 F & 225 R give where the weight is.

cosmicicecreamman

Postby cosmicicecreamman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for that, really appreciate it.

I've carried out some dynamics calculations and my figures come up as: Front - 180lb/in, Rear - 225lb/in for a ride frequency of 2hz.

I just don't want to go spending money on springs to find out they're no use.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:26 am

That sounds in the ballpark.

deecee
Name: David Cockburn

Postby deecee » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:02 am

Hi Steve

My J15 has 200 lb/in front and 300 lb/in rear. These are as supplied by Jeremy Phillips but I am not sure if they are correct or not. I have been concentrating on getting some seat time this year and hope to do some work on the suspension over the winter, along with all the other things on the list.

David
Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

cosmicicecreamman

Postby cosmicicecreamman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm not going for too a high rear spring rate as the back is pretty lively and I'd like to try and tame it a bit. I've got anti-roll bars fitted too so I can get away with a lower spring rate but I think what it really needs is more rubber at the rear. The temperature differential front to rear is significantly higher at the rear due to weight distribution. I'm running 2psi higher at the front to try and combat this.

My winter 'to do list' is expanding every day. First thing will be to sort out lights and dash and then work on emissions.

I also need seat time which will come once it has been through the SVA. Like I said previously I had it down to knockhill but with a 5hr round trip its not really the best, or cheapest, way to learn the car and eradicate teething problems.

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Well the spring rates are way high, I would have thought you needed higher pressures at the back to compensate for the weight...

cosmicicecreamman

Postby cosmicicecreamman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 pm

The 450 and 300 springs were on the car when I bought it. Agree that they are far too high. I'm going for the 225 on the back and 180 front.

Return to “Introductions”