hi, im a new user.

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
3cxjay
Name: Jason Brown

hi, im a new user.

Postby 3cxjay » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Ive just got signed up by Pete(cheers mate), i dont own a kit car but i run a mk5 fiesta track car and im thinking very strongly about putting all the engine and running gear into a sylva riot. I would love to find one half built, i have been a passenger round cadwell in a riot and thought it was great, very impressive.

David
Name: David Hussey

Re: hi, im a new user.

Postby David » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Well, welcome.

When you've driven almost any decent kit-car (not necessarily even at Cadwell), I'm sure you'll find it not just impressive, but truly addictive.

You'll probably find you can buy a complete Striker (or MK, or Westy (wash mouth out with soapy water :o )) for the same money as building a Riot -- and have just as much fun. Something to think about . . . . . . .
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 am

welcome, and wise words from David. much cheaper to buy a car than build one.

3cxjay
Name: Jason Brown

Postby 3cxjay » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:53 am

Thanks for the advice, I liked the riot as its lightweight and can doner some of the parts needed from my fiesta. I know what you mean about build costs. Is there anywere that has information on most kit car weights? Ive read somewere that the robin hood is one of the heavyist.

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 am

3cxjay wrote:Thanks for the advice, I liked the riot as its lightweight and can doner some of the parts needed from my fiesta. I know what you mean about build costs. Is there anywere that has information on most kit car weights? Ive read somewere that the robin hood {{don't even think about it :o }}is one of the heavyist.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

3cxjay

Most kit cars sell for less than they really cost to build -- and you get instant gratification (or you would were the snow to stop!).

However, if you look outside the JP stable I'd suggest you limit your search to the two I named. Caterhams are also very good indeed, but "heritage" commands a pretty price.

HTH

David

P.S. On weight, my Striker-Busa comes in at about 470kg, and my Westy-VX1600 at about 540kg.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:02 pm

David wrote:3cxjay

Most kit cars sell for less than they really cost to build -- and you get instant gratification (or you would were the snow to stop!).

However, if you look outside the JP stable I'd suggest you limit your search to the two I named. Caterhams are also very good indeed, but "heritage" commands a pretty price.

HTH

David

P.S. On weight, my Striker-Busa comes in at about 470kg, and my Westy-VX1600 at about 540kg.

Agree with you on Caterhams David , I spent years plus cash on making my Stylus handle as I wanted BUT after driving a Caterham at Silverstone a few years back (present from my wife) I was amazed ---- not at the power but it simply felt as if it had been purpose chassis tuned to my requirements , felt like old slippers and drove the hell out of it , competed among 20 other guys around a slalom course after the main event and ended up KISSING the very young instructress as reward for fastest time :D
As you say though --- what a price to pay for a brilliant setup chassis :( Having said that , I've spent an easily equal amount sorting mine :roll:

Return to “Introductions”