Hello, I just got to the rolling-chassis stage of my electric Riot

Start here if you are new to the forum, and just want to say Hello
dbonner
Name: David Bonner

Hello, I just got to the rolling-chassis stage of my electric Riot

Postby dbonner » Thu May 20, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi, let me introduce myself my name is David Bonner and I've been building an electric Riot for hillclimb & sprint.

https://youtu.be/oPlNcWHiR18

I would like your advice on tyres. What would be the best choice ultra light, ultra sticky tyres? Avon ACB10's?

The car weighs only 332 kg as you see it. (edited: 350 not 332 - got a sum wrong!) Will add another 25 kg with a rollbar, seatbelts and a minimalist set of body panels (not the standard. I plan to use sandwich material, very light). Can also lose about 30 kilos by using recent batteries (mine are from 2010 and rather overweight) so it might well end up at 330 kilos ready to race. On the current hard tyres there is absolutely silly wheelspin. You give it anthing past 3/4 throttle at 20 km/h, in a straight line, and it's up in smoke. Great fun but not very productive.

The controller is a Zilla Z1K, watercooled, and it's beautifully progressive, you can easily drive at a constant 1 km/h if you press the loud pedal gently.

Still have some bugs to work out in the battery packs - after a few full power accelerations I have a low cell that triggers a fault. The cells need rebalancing.

Also is there any way to reach Jeremy Phillips? I bought the chassis directly from him in 2010, I explained the project and he thought it was nice, so I would love to show him that it actually got ... well sort of ... finished.

Looking forward to our exchanges!
Last edited by dbonner on Sat May 22, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adithorp
Name: adrian thorp

Re: Hello, I just got to the rolling-chassis stage of my electric Riot

Postby adithorp » Fri May 21, 2021 7:04 pm

Welcome. Great project.

Sorry can't help with the tyres. I guess it depends what class you'll run in and what's permitted. With light weight and lots of torque all through the range I suspect you'll need all the grip you can get.

dbonner

Postby dbonner » Sat May 22, 2021 10:50 pm

Hi, I added an extra clip to the video showing the wheelspin in straight line acceleration. https://youtu.be/XPMvs60FwTE
I found someone here in france selling a set of Avon ACB9s for formula ford, which are just right for my rims 5.5 front and 6 rear. Should do the job

dbonner

Postby dbonner » Sat May 22, 2021 10:50 pm

Hi, I added an extra clip to the video showing the wheelspin in straight line acceleration, with sound. https://youtu.be/XPMvs60FwTE
I found someone here in france selling a set of Avon ACB9s for formula ford, which are just right for my rims 5.5 front and 6 rear. Should do the job

pigeondave
Name: David Malenczak

Postby pigeondave » Mon May 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi and welcome.

Great project!
As Adi has said, you'll be limited to what "list" tyres you're allowed to use depending on class.

Have you contacted a motor club about competing?
If you haven't I would strongly suggest that you do. I don't keep up with the motorsport side of things, but you may find it problematic to find a club which would let you run. It is my understanding (based on a conversation 2 years ago) that electric cars would not be allowed to compete at some events due to the change in regulations for the fire marshals. Basically it was the extra kit need to cope with battery fires.

Like I said, this was a couple of years ago and I could be now talking out of my bottom, but best check if you haven't.

dbonner

Postby dbonner » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi, thanks for the heads up about racing but actually for now I'm just trying to get the car to the point where I know whether it can be competitive or not. Near where I live in Paris there are some tracks where I might be able to get permission to test. Since the actual racing is rather far away I figure I can affort to put on a set of tyres that end up not being "legal" for a given race. I would rather concentrate on what tyres are best match for the car.

Return to “Introductions”