Stainless Steel Fasteners

The forum for talking about anything, but generally not about JP cars
IanA
Name: Ian Archer

Stainless Steel Fasteners

Postby IanA » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi
Do we need an "oily hands" forum???
My Fury was nicely built with a good selection of stainless steel fasteners, mainly allen headed bolts in many places. I've continued this by buying same at the shows, in fact it's all I usually buy. Up until now I've replaced bolts and things more for show than need in non-structural areas like dashboard and seat mountings. It's nice not to have to worry about rust spoiling the appearance.
My question is- if I wanted to replace things like suspension bolts, what grade SS bolts should I use and how are they identified???
I realise I could probably google this but I'd like some advice from experience rather than sales.
Cheers
Ian

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Re: Stainless Steel Fasteners

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm no metalurgist, but I think stainless it pretty ductile in all it's forms. Certainly in my line of work, if we need strength, we use non-corrosion resisting steels & plate them. As I say, I stand to be corrected by someone who knows, but I think for the suspension & brakes, you're better sticking with what comes in the kit.
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

Postby RobMsport » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:29 am

IanA wrote:Hi
Do we need an "oily hands" forum???
My Fury was nicely built with a good selection of stainless steel fasteners, mainly allen headed bolts in many places. I've continued this by buying same at the shows, in fact it's all I usually buy. Up until now I've replaced bolts and things more for show than need in non-structural areas like dashboard and seat mountings. It's nice not to have to worry about rust spoiling the appearance.
My question is- if I wanted to replace things like suspension bolts, what grade SS bolts should I use and how are they identified???
I realise I could probably google this but I'd like some advice from experience rather than sales.
Cheers
Ian

Ian , I've been told that S/S bolts are brittle so would fail rather than bend/wear -- not certain on the truth of this but I only used stainless bolts to hinge my flip front and dash etc etc . For suspension , NAS bolts with K nuts are the light weight non rust choice. SBD even sleeved out the pick-up points with ally then used 7/16 ths NAS bolts on their race Westfield . Bit expensive , I know but very effective :roll:

Fury1630
Name: Tony Hart

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:12 pm

" NAS bolts with K nuts are the light weight non rust choice. "

Check the Ebay "Aircraft & Aviation" section, there are often packs of aircraft bolts for sale at reasonable prices (no C of C so can't be used on aircraft). If what you want doesn't come up you can always e-mail the supplier.

T
"Low Commotion" Quite possibly the slowest Fury.........................................................................in the world.

Return to “The Local”