low profile tyres

The forum for talking about anything, but generally not about JP cars
RobMsport
Name: Rob Farley

low profile tyres

Postby RobMsport » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:46 am

What's other guys experience with low profile tyres regarding holding their pressure :?: The 19 inch wheels with 235x40's on my Alfa seem to leak a bit over a week or two . I'll try over inflating them then drive down the carraigeway for a few miles/warm them up , maybe that will press them tighter onto the rim before setting them at 3 bar front 2.7 bar rears.

RobMsport

Re: low profile tyres

Postby RobMsport » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Banged 50 psi into them then drove a bit smartish along the bypass for 25 miles --- set them back to 41 front 38 rear and they've stayed there for the last several weeks ok :)
When I bought it the tyres were down to anything from 24 to 33psi --- not the advised handbook psi for these 19 inch wheels with 235 x 40 's . MPG is up 3mpg too ;)

A little remap could be it's 2013 present me thinks --- up to Banbury for DPF removal , EGR blank and sensor adjust plus ECU remap for a moderate torque increase .

dopdog
Name: Simon Boulter

Postby dopdog » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:14 pm

see, even road cars we cannot leave alone :)

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:48 pm

If you wanted to leave it alone, then you wouldn't buy an Alfa (or perhaps they are better these days?).

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 pm

matt_gsxr wrote:If you wanted to leave it alone, then you wouldn't buy an Alfa (or perhaps they are better these days?).

You buy Alfa's because you like them to look at plus the driving experience which I have to say is great , just sitting behind the wheel is inspiring then there's the handling :)
Having decided to sell the Land Cruiser(which I really didn't want to do) and going to a ' car ' --- firstly it had to tow easily without working too hard on engine , box or clutch but I also had to really like it ---- as opposed to '' it's a sensible buy '' , say BMW / AUDI / VOLVO diesels of course , all of which are good motors but with little appeal for me :roll: Possibly the Audi 3lt diesel came close , especially power/economy
BUT -------------------- A red 2009 Alfa 159 2.4 ti ticked all my boxes and with Angel Tuning DPF/EGR removal plus remap , it'll be awesome ------------- if I do it :P
The bonus was getting virtually a straight swap at £13600 for the Cruiser then paying £13000 for the Alfa I found , plus fitting a tow bar of course :)

matt_gsxr
Name: Matthew Robson

Postby matt_gsxr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:39 am

I certainly agree that they are very appealing.

Matt

p.s. My Phoenix side repeaters are from the 159 (not yours though).

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:18 am

matt_gsxr wrote:I certainly agree that they are very appealing.

Matt

p.s. My Phoenix side repeaters are from the 159 (not yours though).

OK ---- can't resist a pic now you agree they are appealing :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Postby petercoll » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 am

I miss my 159 - the only tintop that I had to turn around and admire when I walked away from it in a car park.

My Giulietta is pretty, but not in the same league as the 159. And as for the Brera :)

Pete

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:27 am

petercoll wrote:I miss my 159 - the only tintop that I had to turn around and admire when I walked away from it in a car park.

My Giulietta is pretty, but not in the same league as the 159. And as for the Brera :)

Pete

Yes Peter , that's exactly how I feel about the car , although of course it had to tick a couple of other boxes if I was going to sell the L Cruiser ---- would it tow well without effort and would it give better mpg than my Cruiser :?: It tows brilliantly being a 2.4lt plus gives 40mpg on a brim to brim fuel check :P Strangely the dash indicator says 38mpg when most peoples cars I here of seem to read optimistically.
While actually towing the minno/Stylus it registers 34mpg so is likely better ---- the Cruiser towed at 23mpg at best.
It's booked in at Gamma Motorsport in January for DPF/EGR empty & delete plus a mild re-map --- most other Alfa 2.4 owners who've had this done say the response is more '' petrol '' like plus 3 to 8 mpg more , depending on the driver :roll:

RobMsport

Postby RobMsport » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am

It was done yesterday and oh my what a difference ---- immediate throttle response without any hesitation or flat spots in any gear or rev's . Took it out for a test drive before paying my bill so obviously didn't give a toss regarding economy --- result stunning , overtaking even in a high gear is quite a shock if you keep your foot in , overtaking 3 to 6 cars in a flash very safely and the sound is awesome considering it's a tractor :o
Economy (my excuse for doing it :lol: ) showed 33.5mpg on the way there which was 5mpg worse than normal , possibly due to it regening after lots of local 2 mile runs. On my way home it showed 48.6mpg :shock: (it's the 2.4 lt diesel too) That was slow out of Banbury and into Aylesbury traffic then max 50mph (camera's) on the link roads but 80mph on the M4 -- same there and home.
I'll have to do a brim to brim tank fill/mileage check to find out the truth , either way the dash readout was a surprise as was expecting maybe 5 extra at best. Previous brim to brim check showed the dash readout to be 2mpg under actual.

Return to “The Local”