Wiggle cheshire Cat

The forum for talking about anything, but generally not about JP cars
Dave Spencer
Name: David Spencer

Wiggle cheshire Cat

Postby Dave Spencer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Hello,

My name is David Spencer; I compete with my brother Jim in our Sylva Striker in Sprints and Hillclimbs. On Sunday March 25th 2012 I will be taking part in the Wiggle Cheshire cat 100 mile cycling sportive. The 100 mile route includes riding up notable climbs, such as; Mow Cop, Blacky Bank, Gun Hill and Wincle.

By taking part in this event, I would like to try and raise money for Cancer Research UK. I have set up a sponsorship page and would be very grateful if you would support me in this event by going to my sponsorship page and making a donation.

Please Gift Aid your donation. This means that Cancer Research UK will receive at least an extra 25p for every £1 that is raised, at no extra cost to you. £10 becomes at least £12.50, so it really makes a difference. Please use the link below to access my sponsorship page where you can make your donation.

http://www.runningsponsorme.org/dado

Together we will beat cancer.

Many thanks.

David Spencer.

petercoll
Name: Peter Collingridge

Re: Wiggle cheshire Cat

Postby petercoll » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Dave,

I will make a donation, in fact I might pedal out to have a look.

I have never cycled up Mow Cop. Out of interest, what gear do you think you will need to get up it ?

Pete

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Done -- great cause; good luck, Dave.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

Dave Spencer

Postby Dave Spencer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:35 pm

petercoll wrote:Dave,

I will make a donation, in fact I might pedal out to have a look.

I have never cycled up Mow Cop. Out of interest, what gear do you think you will need to get up it ?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Mow Cop is known as the 'Killer Mile' and with good reason. The "brief but brutal" route breaks into several different sections - a gentle first 1/4 mile away from the level crossing, then a 1-in-5 section up to Birch Tree Lane. A steady! :o climb up through the fields in full view of the horrors to come, and at last the truly killer bit - the 1-in-4 section past the most popular spectator spot outside the Cheshire View, whose front door is the 3/4 mile mark. Even the comparatively level section from the top corner to the Finish is still climbing - never have so many people "sprinted" so slowly.

So all in all Pete 1st Gear :D

The general topic of conversation for 'Mow Cop is what percentage of people will manage to get up without stopping. You are given a medal if you manage to do so!

David.

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Dave Spencer wrote: So all in all Pete 1st Gear :D

I was hoping you might give me a hint on your planned (1st) gear ratio :)

It's not too far from me, but I don't want to launch up it on my Cannondale "double" road bike, if I should have brought along my triple "cycle up the side of a house" mountain bike !

Have fun.

Pete

Dave Spencer

Postby Dave Spencer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:15 pm

petercoll wrote:
Dave Spencer wrote: So all in all Pete 1st Gear :D

I was hoping you might give me a hint on your planned (1st) gear ratio :)

It's not too far from me, but I don't want to launch up it on my Cannondale "double" road bike, if I should have brought along my triple "cycle up the side of a house" mountain bike !

Have fun.

Pete

Hi Pete, I run a triple (granny gears) on my road bike, Crankset 30/42/52T, Cassette 11-28T. My friend gets up 'Mow Cop' on his double with an 11-28T Cassette.

Hope that helps,

David.

Dave Spencer

Postby Dave Spencer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 pm

First of all, a big thank you to everyone who made a donation on my sponsorship page. It looks like we have managed to raise over £300 for Cancer Research, so once again many thanks.

Sunday way a beautiful day and 3000 cyclists turned up at Crewe Alexandra football ground to tackle either the short, medium or long options of the Wiggle Cheshire Cat sportive.

I had decided to tackle the long 100 mile option, which due to a course alteration had increased to 102 miles!

My total time taken to complete the course was 7hrs 30mins. This included 10 minute breaks at each of the 3 feed stations (free cakes :D ). I managed to complete the course without stopping, apart from at the feed stations and negotiated all the hills without putting a foot down, and I only fell off once!(this didn't register as a foot down as I landed on my cakes)

All in all a really good day, great weather, fantastic organisation, instant results and all for a good cause!

Regards,

David.

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Excellent news - well done. I finally got Paypal to let me make a payment on your sponsorship page.

I am doing "Hell Of The North Cotswolds" (http://www.honc.org.uk) later in April - haven't decided whether to do 50k or 100k yet.

Pete

petercoll

Postby petercoll » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 am

Just signed up for The Cheshire Cat and Motion in Mercia in March /April 2013.

Pete

Return to “The Local”