Hallelujah, The Time for Open-Top motoring Has Returned

The forum for talking about anything, but generally not about JP cars
David
Name: David Hussey

Re: Hallelujah, The Time for Open-Top motoring Has Returned

Postby David » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:25 am

Over the last few years of 6-series ownership, I've had several. But, I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks that my first (a "Bangla" E64) was the most interesting and elegant to look at -- loved that car, even though he forgot to provide it with cup-holders (one came as a "clip on" accessory), and (dangerously) the size, angle and shape of the rear lights made the rear indicators very difficult to see in sunshine.
By comparison, the sanitized F12, whilst undoubtedly a better car overall, is rather bland :oops:
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:17 am

This I get

not so sure about this

But then if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world. I must admit I don't remember ever seeing one on the road. let alone the M6 cab so it must be pretty unusual David.

David
Name: David Hussey

Postby David » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Taste is a strange thing, Jeff -- but, choice is also driven by practical considerations.
Discounting the Bentley as simply too ostentatious (even for me), the choice of "GT type" car (rather than sports car -- long holiday journeys rather than blats) is quite limited. Lexus doesn't sell its SC any more in the UK (and it was hideous anyway), Jaguar had the XK which featured neither rear seats nor boot, the Merc SL has a good boot but only two seats, and then there is the Audi A5.
Many reviews regard the rear seats in the 6 Series as purely nominal, but Mr & Mrs Hepworth and we drifted around the Loire valley last year four-up for a 150 mile day in the sunshine -- "snug" but no discomfort, even for us oldies. And, even with the roof stowed, it has enough boot for a (judiciously packed) three week summer holiday.
So, unless you like the A5, it more or less has to be the 6. Add in ridiculous grunt and decent handling (for a large car) and I'm fine with that.
Se7en Pervert -- by definition; I don't drive a Caterham

jeffw
Name: Jeff Wiltshire

Postby jeffw » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:37 pm

The RS5 wasn't a great car either.

Return to “The Local”